How Often to Replace a Car Battery
The average battery lifespan is around 4-5 years, although that can vary depending on different factors. Take a look at our guide to car batteries at Land Rover Princeton near West Windsor, and when it’s time to replace your battery, visit our Land Rover service center!
How to Know If Your Car Battery Needs to Be Replaced
Four warning signs that indicate your battery will need a replacement soon:
- Dimming headlights
- Increasingly frequent need for engine revving or jump starts
- Takes longer to start the engine
- Unusual power fluctuations
What Causes Car Battery Deterioration?
- Heat: Heat can cause battery liquids to evaporate, so if you live in a warmer climate your battery life will tend to be shorter than if you live in cold weather or a moderate climate.
- Vibrations: If you drive on off-road trails around West Windsor, or your battery’s hold-down clamps are loose, vibrations may break down battery parts faster.
- Needing a Jump: Every time your vehicle requires a jump start, its battery life is shortened.
- Time: Just like a laptop or phone battery, a car battery can only charge so many times before it’s time to remove and replace it.
To get a more specific estimate of how long your car battery should last with proper care, check your owner’s manual or Land Rover maintenance schedule.
How to Test a Car Battery
During semi-annual regular maintenance, you should have your car battery tested by technicians, Many service centers also offer free testings if it’s not time for your tune-up, or you can try these at-home methods.
The Headlight Test:
- Turn on the engine and make turn the headlights on.
- Rev the engine and check if headlights get brighter.
- If the brightness increases, that means the current is not strong enough while the car is idling have the lights at full brightness.
- Take your car in for service to fully check the battery.
Using a Digital Multimeter:
- Set the voltmeter to 20 DC volts.
- Under the hood, touch the negative terminal with the negative meter probe.
- Touch the positive terminal with the positive meter probe.
- Have a someone else turn on the headlights while you monitor the voltmeter reading.
- At 80℉, 12.5 volts or higher means your battery is fully charged.
- 12.3 volts means it’s at about 75% charged.
- 11.8 volts or lower means you have 25% or less charge.
How Much is a Replacement Car Battery?
A car battery can cost between $75 and $120 normally, but a premium battery could be up to $200. Since hybrid car batteries have a much bigger task they are much more costly–between $1000 and $6000–but the lower gas consumption over time usually offsets this cost.
Rely on Land Rover Princeton For Your Service Needs
If it’s time for you to replace your battery, visit the Land Rover Princeton parts center near Hopewell. Be sure to check our parts and service specials ahead of time to take advantage of our rotating offers!
More From Land Rover Princeton
With up to 4,409 pounds of maximum towing capacity, the 2019 Land Rover Discovery Sport is a compact yet rugged Land Rover SUV that’s great for transitioning between everyday South Brunswick commutes and special trips with a camper or boat. Learn more about the Discovery Sport towing capacity at Land Rover Princeton and schedule a test drive to…
Interested in the 2019 Land Rover Discovery configurations? With three different trim levels to choose from, the Land Rover Discovery lets you enjoy a luxury SUV ride through Hopewell with a style you love and the off-road capability you need. Check out the Land Rover Discovery trim levels in more detail below, then head to…
The Range Rover brand has been around for a long time, but while you may know about the Land Rover company history, do you know the Range Rover came to be? Take a walk back in time with Land Rover Princeton to explore the Range Rover history, different Range Rover models, and find out the…