How Often to Replace a Car Battery
The average battery lifespan is around 4-5 years, although that can vary depending on different factors. Take a look at our guide to car batteries at Land Rover Princeton near Mount Laurel, and when it’s time to replace your battery, visit our Land Rover service center!
How to Know If Your Car Battery Needs to Be Replaced
Four warning signs that indicate your battery will need a replacement soon:
- Dimming headlights
- Increasingly frequent need for engine revving or jump starts
- Takes longer to start the engine
- Unusual power fluctuations
What Causes Car Battery Deterioration?
- Heat: Heat can cause battery liquids to evaporate, so if you live in a warmer climate your battery life will tend to be shorter than if you live in cold weather or a moderate climate.
- Vibrations: If you drive on off-road trails around Mount Laurel, or your battery’s hold-down clamps are loose, vibrations may break down battery parts faster.
- Needing a Jump: Every time your vehicle requires a jump start, its battery life is shortened.
- Time: Just like a laptop or phone battery, a car battery can only charge so many times before it’s time to remove and replace it.
To get a more specific estimate of how long your car battery should last with proper care, check your owner’s manual or Land Rover maintenance schedule.
How to Test a Car Battery
During semi-annual regular maintenance, you should have your car battery tested by technicians, Many service centers also offer free testings if it’s not time for your tune-up, or you can try these at-home methods.
The Headlight Test:
- Turn on the engine and make turn the headlights on.
- Rev the engine and check if headlights get brighter.
- If the brightness increases, that means the current is not strong enough while the car is idling have the lights at full brightness.
- Take your car in for service to fully check the battery.
Using a Digital Multimeter:
- Set the voltmeter to 20 DC volts.
- Under the hood, touch the negative terminal with the negative meter probe.
- Touch the positive terminal with the positive meter probe.
- Have a someone else turn on the headlights while you monitor the voltmeter reading.
- At 80℉, 12.5 volts or higher means your battery is fully charged.
- 12.3 volts means it’s at about 75% charged.
- 11.8 volts or lower means you have 25% or less charge.
How Much is a Replacement Car Battery?
A car battery can cost between $75 and $120 normally, but a premium battery could be up to $200. Since hybrid car batteries have a much bigger task they are much more costly–between $1000 and $6000–but the lower gas consumption over time usually offsets this cost.
Rely on Land Rover Princeton For Your Service Needs
If it’s time for you to replace your battery, visit the Land Rover Princeton parts center near Hopewell. Be sure to check our parts and service specials ahead of time to take advantage of our rotating offers! If you have any more automotive questions like how to clean leather car seats and more, rely on Land Rover Princeton.
More From Land Rover Princeton
The redesigned 2020 Range Rover Evoque achieves EPA-estimated 23 combined mpg fuel economy ratings, and this luxury compact SUV is built with eco-friendly features for less environmental impact while on South Brunswick drives. Learn more about Range Rover Evoque fuel economy ratings at Land Rover Princeton, then contact us to schedule a test drive! New Inventory Learn More How…
South Brunswick and Mount Laurel trying to decide which Land Rover Range Rover has the features they need should check out our guide to the 2020 Range Rover trim levels below, then compare the Range Rover vs. Ford Explorer to see how this model stands out against other rugged SUVs. When you’re ready, contact your local authorized Land Rover…
The 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque offers unique style and advanced technology to Mount Laurel drivers, with features like perforated leather seats, ambient interior lighting, and several premium audio system options. Explore the Range Rover Evoque interior at Land Rover Princeton, then contact your local authorized Land Rover retailer to experience the interior in person. Contact Us View…