How Often to Replace a Car Battery
The average battery lifespan is around 4-5 years, although that can vary depending on different factors. Take a look at our guide to car batteries at Land Rover Princeton near Mount Laurel, and when it’s time to replace your battery, visit our Land Rover service center!
How to Know If Your Car Battery Needs to Be Replaced
Four warning signs that indicate your battery will need a replacement soon:
- Dimming headlights
- Increasingly frequent need for engine revving or jump-starts
- Takes longer to start the engine
- Unusual power fluctuations
What Causes Car Battery Deterioration?
- Heat: Heat can cause battery liquids to evaporate, so if you live in a warmer climate your battery life will tend to be shorter than if you live in cold weather or a moderate climate.
- Vibrations: If you drive on off-road trails around Mount Laurel, or your battery’s hold-down clamps are loose, vibrations may break down battery parts faster.
- Needing a Jump: Every time your vehicle requires a jump-start, its battery life is shortened.
- Time: Just like a laptop or phone battery, a car battery can only charge so many times before it’s time to remove and replace it.
To get a more specific estimate of how long your car battery should last with proper care, check your owner’s manual or Land Rover maintenance schedule.
How to Test a Car Battery
During semi-annual regular maintenance, you should have your car battery tested by technicians, Many service centers also offer free testings if it’s not time for your tune-up, or you can try these at-home methods.
The Headlight Test:
- Turn on the engine and make turn the headlights on.
- Rev the engine and check if headlights get brighter.
- If the brightness increases, that means the current is not strong enough while the car is idling have the lights at full brightness.
- Take your car in for service to fully check the battery.
Using a Digital Multimeter:
- Set the voltmeter to 20 DC volts.
- Under the hood, touch the negative terminal with the negative meter probe.
- Touch the positive terminal with the positive meter probe.
- Have a someone else turn on the headlights while you monitor the voltmeter reading.
- At 80℉, 12.5 volts or higher means your battery is fully charged.
- 12.3 volts means it’s at about 75% charged.
- 11.8 volts or lower means you have 25% or less charge.
How Much is a Replacement Car Battery?
A car battery can cost between $75 and $120 normally, but a premium battery could be up to $200. Since hybrid car batteries have a much bigger task they are much more costly–between $1000 and $6000–but the lower gas consumption over time usually offsets this cost.
Rely on Land Rover Princeton For Your Service Needs
If it’s time for you to replace your battery, visit the Land Rover Princeton parts center near Hopewell. Be sure to check our parts and service specials ahead of time to take advantage of our rotating offers! If you have any more automotive questions like how to clean leather car seats or what is the difference between premium and regular gas, rely on Land Rover Princeton.
More From Land Rover Princeton
How much can a Land Rover Discovery tow? The 2020 Land Rover Discovery towing capacity reaches up to 8,201 pounds–that is, if you use up all 83.7 cubic feet of cargo space inside. Learn more about 2020 Discovery towing specs, engine options, and towing-friendly features, then browse our inventory to find a new Land Rover…
The 2020 Land Rover Range Rover is a five-passenger luxury SUV that has plenty of room for each passenger, no matter which seat they are sitting in. You can even upgrade to Rear Executive Class Seats, for a total seating capacity of four passengers. Explore Land Rover seating capacity in Range Rover at Land Rover Princeton near…
If you are looking for a striking luxury SUV that will stand out in a saturated market, the 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Velar is the vehicle for you. It offers dozens of paint color options and interior trims in a variety of color combinations, so you can truly make the Range Rover Velar your…