Land Rover History
Every automaker has a past, but Land Rover is one of the few that has a history. Since its earliest days, this brand has been exceptional; and not once has it been content to follow the pack or accept the ordinary. As a result, Land Rover history is remarkably colorful and accomplished. Learn about some of the seminal events before visiting Land Rover Princeton to tour the current lineup, or take a deeper look into our history by learning about retired Land Rover models.
Important Moments in Land Rover History
- 1947 – The first Land Rover began as a sketch drawn in the sand on a Welsh beach. That led to the creation of a vehicle designed to be rugged yet accessible, a combination that was entirely absent from the market at the time.
- 1948 – The first production Land Rover debuts at the Amsterdam Auto Show and becomes an instant success. A year later, the first models reached the U.S.
- 1950 – The original four-wheel drive system is overhauled, and other enhancements are added to make Land Rover the top-notch off-road vehicle we know it as today.
- 1957 – After receiving steady upgrades throughout the 50’s, Land Rover introduces its first diesel engine and again redefines what these vehicles are capable of.
- 1970 – The Range Rover is introduced for the first time. This signaled Land Rover’s enduring commitment to capability along with new standards for luxury.
- 1976 – The one millionth Land Rover model is put into production, a milestone that few automakers reach.
- 2003 – In the preceding decades, Land Rover added new performance, tech, and safety features while adding and subtracting models from the lineup. Those moves proved to be a hit, because viewers of the BBC show Top Gear named Land Rover “The Greatest Car of All Time.”
- 2005 – The Range Rover Sport launches, signaling a new commitment to make smaller, sportier, and more sustainable vehicles to keep up with changing consumer demands.
- Future – Land Rover is currently working on technologies to make off-road driving more accessible than ever and to upgrade the cabin to new levels of perfection.
Experience History at Land Rover Princeton
The principles that have made these vehicles so popular and powerful over the years are on full display in the current Land Rover lineup. They’re also perfect for touring historical sites around Princeton no matter what kind of trip you want to take. Explore your options in person, or contact Land Rover Princeton for information.